Wednesday, June 22, 2005

A Jolly time at the Fox

I keep hearing about these drink specials at this club/bar called the Jolly Fox. You couldn't even imagine this kind of deal--Tuesday nights, 25 cent well drinks until 11pm. I've wanted to go out, so I took the initiative and called Aimer because I figured he might be doing something. And sure enough he and his friends were planning to go to the Fox. So, I went back home (from work) and made myself cute. I called Paul and left a message to let him know what was going on like the good friend that I am.

Aimer called me back to say they were 3 minutes away. I had to stop by the ATM, so it took me about 15 minutes. When I got in, I called Aimer only to find out that he wasn't there :( Side note: I had to use my passport to get in because I lost my driver's license recently. I had to walk around alone without looking like a loser. I saw a girl I played high school volleyball with, but I only had a 5 second conversation with her. I went to the bathroom because I didn't know what else to do. Don't worry, I didn't hang out in there; I just had to curse Aimer in the privacy of a stall so that people wouldn't see my revealing facial expressions. Before leaving, I checked myself out in the mirror. I was wearing a teal shirt that Shikha gave me (it's one of the ones from Express that she has in a million different colors), jeans and flip flops. Also, I had on this really cute bracelet that matched perfectly. Anyway, the point is that while in the bathroom a girl commented, "Oh, that's a cute shirt." What she really meant was, "DAMN! You make that shirt look hot!" Of course, this is always a confidence booster, so I was ready to continue my aimless wandering.

Not 2 minutes after I left the bathroom, someone calls out my name. And guess who it is? Paul and this guy and "this guy's" friends. I know "this guy," but he's my brother's age. So, I was saved from the depths of dork-dom and pulled back into the realm of seemingly coolness. Thank goodness. I was introduced to "the friends." One girl's name was Imala (or something like that). It sounded atypical, so I wondered if it was ethnic. Guess what kind of name it turned out to be? You're right! Nigerian! How fun is that?! She also happened to be Ibo. She was totally in the mood to dance too, so I was encouraging her to go out there while trying to invite myself along. She wanted to, but there weren't that many people out there. I told her we could get the party started. Finally, they decided to get on the dance floor, and I tagged along. Imala chickened out, but this other girl stayed with me--she wasn't scared. Next thing you know, the whole group is out there, and naturally everyone else filed in. I made Paul dance with me even though he apparently dislikes it, and he kept saying "I'm sooo white." True...but he was just being too self conscious. Aimer finally calls to announce his arrival, so Paul and I went to meet him.

We talked, blah blah. I made Aimer dance with me too, which is also not one of his favorite activities. Blah blah, more talking and a little more dancing. BAM! It's midnight and the Fox closes. I headed back to Aimer's place where I end up staying till 4am. He gave me pointers on pool, some of his friends came over, he tried to make me hold his iguana (I told him it took me a year to become fond of Lei Lei's birds. There was no way I was going to hold his iguana.), and finally Aimer and I talked about homosexuality, AIDS, and our respective cultures. You know how it goes--a half hour conversation turned into two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home