Monday, July 11, 2005

Atypical Run

On Friday, I went to Pritchet's Field to run after I dropped my mother off at work. I'm really proud of myself because I've been running for 20 minutes, which equates to about 2 miles. Usually I run around my neighborhood because I don't have a ton of time in the mornings. A couple of times since I've been home this summer, I've seen this grandpa. He's friendly--always smiling and saying hello even though I've never met him. This particular Friday, I was finishing my run just as he was arriving. He was in his car putting on shoes, and as I passed by we exchanged pleasantries. I got into the van and as I was about to drive off, I see this old man with his shoulders shrugged and his hands up in a kind of where are you going type of thing. I stopped to see what he had to say.

"Where are you going? You just got here."
"I've been here for a while. I'm done."
"Oh, well I just wanted to talk to you about Christ. You have such a happy smile; I just wanted to make sure your soul was in the same place. I don't mean any harm; I have kids your age. I don't mean to preach. I just wanted to talk about Jesus."
All the while I'm nodding my head to show that I'm listening. Then he asked me,
"Are you married?"
"No."
"Did you move here with your boyfriend?"
"No."
"Well, I hope I get a chance to talk to you."
"Yeah, maybe next time."

Now, I'm a little scared to go back. It's strange the people I come into contact with. I was kind of irritated by the whole thing. I think he was implying that because I'm young and vulnerable and easily influenced by devilish things. And he wants to be the one to make sure I am saved from the depths of evil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home