Monday, July 25, 2005

Job Search

The job search here in Huntsville has been f***ing frustrating. Currently, I'm working for my old boss, but I wanted to find something different. At church, there's this man who owns a real estate company, and when he found out I was looking for a job, he suggested I come by his office because a position was opening up. So I did; I applied for the full-time receptionist position. The person who I was talking to said there would be 2 interviews--one in late June and one in early July. Well the end of June came around and I called to check-up. She informed me that they decided to do only one interview in July, so we scheduled a tentative date for July 8. On July 7, I called to confirm the interview only to find out that they decided to no longer consider me as a candidate. They knew about my Peace Corps plans, and the woman said they wanted someone more permant. Of course, I was surprised not to mention pissed because she had told me I was their top candidate because I had been recommended by the boss. At this point, I was ready to find another job away from Texas and make no mention of my future plans. Then the next day, the woman called back saying they were willing to make the receptionist position part-time from 8am-Noon. I was mad about it still, but I set up an interview for July 18. The interview went well minus the fact that they kept saying I was over qualified. This is true, but it made me feel bad about myself as if I can't get anything better. One of the interviewers was a girl I graduated high school with and who was my best friend from 5th-8th grade. They said, I should be hearing back from them by Thursday. Well, Thursday came and went and I figured I didn't get hired. Now, it's Monday and I called them this morning just to check. And to no surprise the position has been filled.

When my current boss found out I was interviewing with this other company, he called to try to convince me to stay with him. He technically wasn't really losing me because after the summer, what he has to offer is a job in the afternoon and sometimes nights, which would not have interfered with the receptionist job. I know that I have a part-time job with him if I need it, but I've been really turned off by my Huntsville situation. Therefore, I've been looking at transitional programs that are a year-long. For example, I applied for an Event Coordinator with the Carr Center for Human Rights Policy at Harvard University. This would actually be an ideal job form me because I have experience with international relations, event planning, and communications (they want someone to maintain and update their website).

To sum it all up--this sucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home