Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Weekly Update

The open gym and summer afternoon program are over, so I have a few weeks off before the After School Time Program starts up.

This week I've been taking Ezinne to volleyball tryouts. She says they're supposed to find out if they made the team today, so we're all keeping our fingers crossed. I'm also making her and Chinyere go through all their clothes before school starts, so we can get rid of the ones they won't wear anymore. In addition, I will make them clean the entire house. A new year is starting, and we want to start fresh.

I was looking at my Peace Corps account the other day where you can check your application status and read helpful information. I actually discovered a new feature that I had not noticed before. You can prepare yourself for your assignment by reading more about the work you'll be doing and the country you'll be in. Since, I'm not sure which country I'll be in, I focused more on my health assignment. I just browsed the material, but they have downloadable pdf's and suggested reading. Now, I feel more motivated knowing I can prepare myself during my interim period. Also, I was looking at the grad schools that work in conjunction with the Peace Corps to provide its volunteers with benefits. There is this awesome international mba program at the University of South Carolina that really excited me. You can focus on a language and culture, do an internship abroad, and gain practical, business experience. There's also a MPH program at the University of Denver that interested me. Now one of my goals is to do some more research on these schools and others, so I have some idea about what I want to do after I get out of the Peace Corps.

Conor is back from Europe (HOORAY!) I saw him and Paul at the Fox last night. (I went up there with Aimer). I had a ton of fun. I've mentioned it a million times, but Conor is one kool kat. He was great at dancing (we even two-stepped) and he's hilarious. However, there is a new side of him. Apparently some of his friends get violent (i.e. they break things and fight folks) when they get drunk. It looks like some of that has rubbed off on him. He didn't do anything drastic, but he wanted to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home